Off to Southeast Asia soon, then it’s a fairly safe bet that you will end up having to use the bum gun or toilet hose that is in every public and private bathroom.
Learn More On Southeast Asia
- What Are The Best Party Islands in Thailand?
- How Much Does Beer Cost in Vietnam?
- Learn How To Use Chopsticks Properly in Asia
- Hoi An or Hue, Which One Should I Visit?
- How To Use The Bum Gun in Southeast Asia
- How Bad Are Mosquitoes in Thailand?
It takes a while to get used to the idea of spraying your butt with a power hose, rather than wiping your butt with toilet roll.
After having used the butt spray when in Southeast Asia, I get the advantages of using the bum gun after doing a poo.
Lucky, in Southeast Asia, the water is not cold but the pressure from the toilet hose can vary from hose to hose.
Here is how to use the bum gun or toilet hose in Southeast Asia.
How to Use the Bum Gun?
Here is a few steps to make the adjustment to using the toilet hose easier while visiting Southeast Asia.
- While sitting on the toilet. Get the bum gun with your right hand and put it between your legs and aim it towards your butt.
- The pressure can vary from the hose to hose. Some bum guns shoot water out that could rip you apart. Carefully pull the trigger and find the right pressure.
- If you are a man, spray down and moving the nozzle around. Use your other hand to wipe your butt, as if you were using toilet paper. Keep rubbing until you feel like it’s clean.
- If you are a woman, spray from front to back. Use your other hand to wipe your butt, as if you were using toilet paper. Keep rubbing until you feel like it’s clean.
- Stop washing and put the hose back. If there is tissue around it’ll be best to dry your butt. You’ll find the paper won’t be dirty so you can throw it in the bin.
- That’s it, all done.
The first couple of times you’ll do this, you may get a bit of poo on your hands but if you do the above steps correctly, it shouldn’t be too bad.
While doing this make sure the water is spraying at both your butt and your fingers, so you’re effectively washing your hands and your arse at the same time.
The main thing is to scrub your hands with soap after. Must toilet in Southeast Asia don’t provide soap or toilet roll, so it’s a good idea to bring your own toilet paper and soap.
It’s also one of the reasons that the cultural etiquette in Southeast Asia never pass anything with your left hand, eat or touch food with your left hand.
Benefits To Using The Bum Gun
There are a couple of benefits to using the bum gun. These are as follows.
- Does Better Job Clean You Butt Than Toilet Roll – The bum gun does a better job cleaning that simply that cleaning something with water gets your butt cleaner than wiping your butt with toilet paper.
- More Hygienic – Cleaning something with water especially with a hose is going to leave things a lot cleaner.
- Can Avoid Blockages – Using toilet roll or to much toilet roll can block the sewage pipelines. That sometimes can be expensive to fix or in a hotel, you don’t want to be the guy who blocked the toilet.
- Use Less Toilet Paper – You will not be using much toilet roll so you will save money.
- Environmentally Friendly – Using less toilet roll means less waste needed to be treated.
The Not So Good Benefits To Using The Bum Gun
As there are benefits to using the bum gun but there are also disadvantages with the bum gun.
These disadvantages are as follows.
- Requires Learning – If you are not from a country that uses the bum gun it takes time to learn how to use it properly and to get comfortable using it.
- Wet Cloths – Part of the is that you could and will wet your clothes. This is part of the learning process.
- You To Be Flexible – Trying to get the hose in the right position and not to wet all around you requires you to be physically able and flexible.
- Not To Be Used in Public Toilets – In public toilets it may not be hygiene to use. As well as that there are problems with the water power from the hose and leaks.
Finally, as you can see, this is a bit of a cultural thing and is something that you will have to deal with and have to get used to. And, if you follow the above steps it will make it a little easier to figure it out.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on how to use the bum gun or toilet hose in Southeast Asia has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and any further tips on how to use the bum gun.