Vietnam can be a fun country to visit especially if you are looking to relax, it is not really a party country but are there places around the country that do have good nightlife. A lot of tourists to Vietnam want to relax and smoke weed but Vietnam has strict laws regarding selling, using, and grown drugs in Vietnam. So, is weed legal in Vietnam?
Weed is illegal in Vietnam, this includes been in possession, selling, or growing of weed. The laws in Vietnam on drugs are very strict so if caught with weed punishment can include prison time and are even the death penalty.
In this post, we will go through what is weed legal in Vietnam. So let’s get started!
Learn More On Vietnam
- Which City Has Best Nightlife in Vietnam?
- Does It Snow In Vietnam?
- Reasons Not To Go To Vietnam
- What Is The Best Currency To Use In Vietnam?
- When Is Tet In Vietnam?
Is Weed Legal In Vietnam?
Weed is illegal in Vietnam. Vietnam laws on drugs are very strict which does include jail time and also the death penalty. Vietnamese law on the possession of cannabis is not specific regarding the punishment for being in possession but most sources indicate that the minimum is jail time.
It is very easy to buy weed in Vietnam especially within the ex-pat community and tourists areas. The police understand that young backpackers like smoking weed and bring money into the country, so tend to turn a blind eye to it. You should not be blatant and smoke weed on the street.
The best thing to do is stay away from drugs altogether in Vietnam. It is not worth the hassle or risk.
Is Medical Marijuana Allowed In Vietnam?
No medical marijuana is not allowed in Vietnam. Simply it is completely illegal to be in possession of marijuana or have anything to do with it. It is classed in the same category as cocaine and heroin.
What Is The Sentence For Drugs In Vietnam?
Vietnam has very strict laws regarding drugs. And cannabis is classed in the same category as cocaine or heroin. Anyone in possession of drugs including weed does run the risk of imprisonment from anywhere from 1 to 10 years to the death penalty.
It has been documented that if caught with a small amount of cannabis the police can be easily bribed but you still should tread carefully.
What Do You Do If You Get Caught With Drugs In Vietnam?
Unfortunately, the situation of a tourist getting caught with illegal drugs in Vietnam does happen. What to do if you get arrested for drug possession in Vietnam as a foreigner. Here is what to do?
- You first need to contact your embassy. The embassy will not get you out of jail but they can inform you, family, and friends, as well as helping to find you a proper Vietnamese lawyer.
- Next you will need a Vietnamese lawyer that speaks your language. The problem in Vietnam is that quite a few lawyers prey on people in desperate situations. And take the money they are paid, do nothing, and disappear. You need to be careful when deciding on a lawyer and before handing over money.
- The Vietnamese court system is a slow progress. You may have to wait months for your first court date. For small offenses, you may have to wait to get out on bail and this can be very expensive because of the flight risk.
- You should remain silent until you get your lawyer. And you should not say anything. As you might get yourself in more trouble.
My Advice About Drugs In Vietnam For Foreigners
I have only 3 bits of advice regarding illegal drugs in Vietnam. These are as follows.
- Best thing to do is stay away from drugs in Vietnam. It is not worth the hassle or risk.
- If a stranger or someone gives you a package or bag to carry, just say no.
- If you in a bar or cafe shop and you smell weed. You do not want to be blatant and smoke weed openly.
Finally, weed is illegal in Vietnam. This includes being in possession, selling, or growing weed. The laws in Vietnam on drugs are very strict so if caught with weed punishment can include prison time and are even the death penalty.
Generally, police understand that young backpackers like smoking weed and bring money into the country, so tend to turn a blind eye to it.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on is weed legal in Vietnam has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.