There is not many things to do in Poipet Cambodia, it is really only a stopover town.
Either way, here are some useful travel tips and information for your time in Poipet.
Things To Do in Poipet Cambodia
Here are our interesting things to do in Poipet Cambodia.
Visit The Casino
There are loads of casinos in Poipet. It is sometimes very dangerous to walk at night. However many offers that casinos have, can be hard to refuse.
If interested, you will need to go to a casino and register as a member, if not a hotel guest, you can get free drinks and free transport.
Inside the various casino complexes, you can find massage, spa treatments and there are even a couple of golf courses. Aside from the gambling and drinking.
Explore Star Vegas International Resort
The Star Vegas International Resort has a golf course on the border zone, offering one of the few leisurely and clean ways to pass the time.
They also run massage and spa treatments.
Most of the transport in and out of Poipet originates from the roundabout near the border.
It is pretty hard to get the local fare. So, you have to bargain very hard.
At The Border Crossing
If you have a plan to visit Cambodia via Thailand, you might have to go through Poipet.
Poipet is a boomtown in Banteay Meanchey Province in western Cambodia, on the border with Thailand.
Note, if you on a bus to Poipet with a view to leaving Cambodia, the bus will stop at its company’s Poipet office first. Do not get off unnecessarily as it will likely continue as far as immigration, which will save you a walk or motorbike taxi fare.
Scams At The Border Crossing
You might get nervous about the infamous Poipet border crossing. Here are some tips for you to beware while crossing the border and do not get scammed.
- Do not change money at the border. If you want Thai baht ahead of time, you can change money at Siem Reap’s Old market before heading out or any money changer, or hit the ATM immediately after crossing the border.
- Do not believe anything anyone says about facilitation fees. All transport prices quoted here are current, so negotiable until you get pretty close.
- Being told that your onward bound bus is delayed for a few hours and being advised to take a shared taxi instead
- Visa-entry charges that don’t exist. Officials are known to insist on taxes that don’t exist. Check out the going conditions of entering Cambodia.
- Bars and other local entertainments including gambling can be rip-off establishments enforced by some mean strong-arm types.
- You can read more details here from TripAdvisor.
Where To Stay in Poipet Cambodia
Poipet has a very limited and very few guest houses, hostels and hotels. Here are a few places to check out and give you an idea of what is available in Poipet Cambodia.
Remember to check the reviews and book a place that suits your interests while traveling.
Poipet Resort & Casino
Rating 6.1, Prices start from $79 for Double room
Poipet Resort & Casino is a 5-minute drive from the Cambodian Immigration. It has a spacious casino, 6 dining options, and 24-hour room service.
The air-conditioned rooms are all equipped with a satellite TV, fridge and tea/coffee-making facilities. Suites have a living area. Private bathrooms come with either a shower or bathtub.
Rating 6.8 Prices start from $66 for Double room
Holiday Poipet in Krong Poi Pet features 4-star accommodation with a casino and a garden. All rooms feature a flat-screen TV with cable channels and a private bathroom. There is a restaurant.
Finally, there is not a lot of things to do in Poipet Cambodia, it’s a typical border crossing town. The main thing is to do your homework and beware of the scams before arriving at Poipet.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on the things to do in Poipet Cambodia has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know what you thought of Poipet.