Bali is considered by many as a paradise island with its wonderful beaches, scenery, and food. There is one thing that many visitors to Bali experience which is food poisoning. This is commonly known as ‘Bali Belly’ which is basically an upset stomach or travelers diarrhea. What can you not eat in Bali?
You can basically eat and drink anything you want in Bali but you need to use common sense on what you eat. You do need to avoid drinking tap water and avoid eating undercooked food like meat or fish and avoid raw food as this can get contaminated by the local tap water when they are cleaning the raw food.
In this post, we will go through what can you not eat in Bali. Let’s get started!
Learn More On Bali
- How Much Does Beer Cost in Bali?
- Which is Better Kuta or Seminyak in Bali?
- Bali Travel Tips – Reasons NOT to Visit Bali!
- Important Facts About Bali That Nobody Told You About
- Nicest Beaches in Bali You Should Visit
- How Much is Scooter Rental in Bali?
What is Bali Belly?
Bali Belly is essentially a form of food poisoning which is an upset stomach that causes travellers diarrhoea. The causes of Bali’s belly is because of eating raw or contaminated food and water. Also, other causes of Bali Belly can be eating spicy food or alcohol.
The symptoms of Bali belly generally are as follows.
- Stomach pain and cramps.
What Causes Bali Belly?
Bali’s belly is essentially food poisoning which in Bali is caused by eating food and water that is contaminated. The main source that can cause Bali’s belly is as follows.
- Tap water – It not safe to drink tap water in Bali as the water quality is poor and is more than likely has some bacteria or viruses that will make you sick.
- Restaurants – Poor lower hygiene standards in the restaurants. For example, rinsing your salad with tap water, as a result, the salad becomes contaminated. And you get sick.
The locals would have build up a tolerance so following the policy of ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans do’, will not work as the locals have developed an immunity.
Is Food Safe in Bali?
Simply the middle to high-end restaurants is generally safe for tourists but it is worth checking their reviews online. For the smaller restaurants, look for a place with a good turnover of customers as this will indicate fresher ingredients, but you still need to exercise more caution.
With eating the street food you need to watch them prepare and cooked the food.
What Can You Not Eat in Bali?
While Southeast Asia is one of the worst offenders for food poisoning, it does however have some amazing street food. If you are someone who gets an upset stomach fairly easily, it might be best to avoid street food.
There are a number of tips that can reduce the risk of getting an upset stomach, these are as follows.
- Eat at places that are busy, more than likely they are preparing the food properly and cooking the food properly. And more than like the ingredients is fresher.
- It’s best to eat from places that are preparing and cooking the food in front of you.
- Avoid any raw or under-cooked meat, fish, and eggs. This is a sure way of getting sick.
- Be wary of eating raw foods such as salads or fruits that aren’t peeled. This is because they are often washed using local water.
- Only drink bottled water. This includes brushing your teeth.
- Ask for drinks without ice. Ice is often made with tap water.
- Try and wash your hands regularly and if possible bring a hand sanitizer around with you.
- Many of the street vendors will serve food and drinks on freshly washed plates and cups. That washed with tap water. Ensure that they are completely dry before they serve you.
How Do You Get Rid Of Bali Belly?
The ‘Bali belly’ is a form of food poisoning, no matter what you do it will take at least a few days to recover with the key is staying rehydrated. The reason that staying rehydrated is important is that every time it comes out, it must go back in.
There are other general tips that help to get rid of Bali belly.
- Drink plenty of water to help reduce your risk of dehydration.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as this will dehydrate you.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Try antibiotics.
- Get medical advice from a doctor especially if there is no improvement.
What Can You Eat With Bali Belly?
Some foods can worsen the symptoms of an upset stomach, while others can help reduce the symptoms. The following food can help with food poisoning.
- Diluted fruit juice or squash.
- Tea without milk.
You properly will not want to eat much for the first few days but you should try and eat only when you are hungry until you start feeling well again.
Can You Eat Fruit in Bali?
As a rule with eating fruit in Bali, you should eat fruit where you can peel the skin off such as oranges, bananas, etc. In the case where you don’t peel the skin, you need to clear it with bottled water. Restaurants also use tap water to wash their fruits and vegetables.
Finally, simply you can basically eat and drink anything you want in Bali but you need to use common sense on what you eat. You do need to avoid drinking tap water and avoid eating undercooked food such as meat or fish and avoid raw food as this can get contaminated by the local tap water when it is been cleaned.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on what can you not eat in Bali has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.