Ubud is a small town located in Bali that has a population of over 70,000 people. It is a popular place to visit because of the rice paddies and plantations. Ubud has developed as a arts and culture center and is one of the most visited places in Bali. What are the best things to do in Ubud Bali?
If you visit Ubud you can join a yoga class, enjoy a relaxing spa, or go walking through the rice paddies and plantations. You can enjoy the local food and the lively nightlife. The nightlife is more relaxed and there are traditional dance and music performances in most places.
In this post, we will go through things to do in Ubud Bali. So let’s get started!
Learn More On Bali
- How Much Does Beer Cost in Bali?
- Bali Travel Tips – Reasons NOT to Visit Bali!
- What Are The Must-Dos in Bali?
- Fun Things To Do in Seminyak Bali
- Can You Drink Tap Water in Bali?
- How Much is Scooter Rental in Bali?
- What Can You Not Eat in Bali?
- Fun Things To Do in Medan Indonesia
Is Ubud Worth Visiting?
When visiting Bali you expect to see beaches and sunsets but Ubud is very different from what you expect. Ubud does not have any beaches but has rice paddies and plantations is arguably the cultural center of Bali. Yes, Ubud is worth visiting.
Is Ubud In Bali Safe?
Ubud but in particular, Bali has an issue with petty crimes such as scams, pickpockets, and bag snatching. You do need to use common sense so as not to be a victim. The simplest way to protect yourself is to keep your valuables out of sight.
Things To Do In Ubud Bali
Ubud is located in Bali but behind the quiet ambiance and tranquillity, there are wonderful things to do in Ubud that you will not find in any other place on the island.
Here is our list of things to do in Ubud Bali.
Visit A Few Museums
Ubud is famous for being the capital of culture in Bali as most art galleries are concentrated in the town. If you are an art lover, a museum visit is something not to be missed.
Here are the lists of the museum to visit in Ubud.
- Museum Rudana – The Rudana Museum has a wide range of collections of vivid traditional paintings and also antique pieces of art. Surrounded by green rice fields, the museum belongs to a Balinese politician named Nyoman Rudana. Besides art exhibitions, the museum also provides a gallery where visitors can buy Balinese artwork.
- Agung Rai Museum Of Art – Shortened as ARMA, this museum is a combination of cultural center and gallery. The place exhibits the work of Anak Agung Gede Rai in one building and in another building displays various kinds of artworks.
- Peruse Neka Art Museum – This museum is considered one of the best museums on the island for having a huge collection of mixed modern arts and ancient pieces.
- Blanco Renaissance Museum – The museum was once in the house and studio of the Don Antonio Blanco. You can find a wide array collection of poetry pieces, collages, paintings, and even lithographs. The house tour is also allowed it is one of the best spots for photography in Ubud.
- Museum Puri Lukisan – This museum is one of the best museums of the modern arts scene and non-religious art in Ubud. There are wide ranges of artwork exhibitions which come in English explanations.
Join A Yoga Class
There is nothing better to enjoy Ubud’s tranquillity is joining a yoga class. There are numbers of Yoga studios you can join whether you are a beginner or an expert.
This is one of the more popular things to do in Ubud Bali. If you want to stay a little bit longer, you can also join a yoga retreat and really indulge in practicing yoga.
Try A Cooking Class
Cooking class usually includes Balinese cuisine cooking class, Indonesian cuisine, vegetarian food, and even international fusion cuisine. Many people are interested in cooking class as it includes a market visit, hands-on cooking and also making offerings.
You can definitely learn some new skills while staying in Ubud.
Go On An Adventure
Visiting Bali without doing some sort of adventurous activity can make your visit feel incomplete. While Ubud may be limited on the adventures thing to do but there are some that will get the adrenaline pumping.
- Downhill Biking – If walking through the rice field is too slow for you, try the downhill bike. Besides passing rice fields, you will also pass a Balinese village where you can stop by and have interaction with the local people.
- Water Rafting – Water rafting is another adventurous activity through many rivers in the town. The rafting package is available in two levels, from beginner to advanced rafters.
- Swing in the Sky – Swing in the sky is the newest adventurous activity in Ubud. The swing is located uphill, so it gives you the feeling of a swing in the sky, literary. The price is not that cheap, especially for a night swing but the experience is unbeatable.
Try The Local Healthy Food
Ubud is heaven for healthy food and vegetarian food. You will easily find restaurants and cafes offering healthy and there are even vegan restaurants.
No, you do not have to be a health freak or vegan to enjoy tasting the food but you will be surprised that it actually as tasty as your favorite food.
Go For A Spa And Massage
Once again, Ubud is the home for massages and spas. Going for a spa and massage after a long day surfing at the beach is always a great idea. This is also another one of the more popular things to do in Ubud Bali.
With a spa and massage parlor in every corner of the town. However, make sure you choose one with good service and ambiance.
Walk Through Rice Fields
Many people find that walking through rice field are relaxing and mind-calming. You can choose to walk in the Tegalalang rice field or Campuhan Ridge walk. Both have an amazing view and calming ambiance. And photo opportunities.
Be A Local At Gianyar Night Market
Healthy food at noon and tasting Balinese street food at night is always a great combination. Located a bit far from the center of Ubud, Gianyar Night Market is a great destination to visit at night.
There are lots of delicious common Balinese food such as fried bananas, satay, roasted suckling pig, and many more. Other than the food, there are also toys and clothes available in the market.
Stay In Unordinary Hotels
When in Ubud, if you are not interested in staying in a regular hotel or homestay. You can find hotels or accommodation in the area that offer unique designs and fabulous scenic views.
There are some hotels and homestays which are located in the center of the lush jungle with an open view of the volcano.
Watch A Dance
Balinese dance is always fascinating and should not be missed. The famous dance performance is a Kecak dance in Junjungan Village. It is less commercial and certainly less busy than other places.
Another dance performance is the Legong dance which is usually performed at temples around Ubud such as Pura Dalem Puri, Peliatan Village, and Puri Saren.
USEFUL TRAVEL RESOURCES
Booking.com has a large range of properties from hotels, hostels, guesthouses, and resorts where you will find the best deals. Airbnb and Hostelworld also have a good range of places to stay at good prices.
Skyscanner is a flight search comparison website that searches millions of flights all at once. Ultimately it is the best flight comparison website online at the moment.
Booking Transportation & Things To Do
Rome2rio and 12Go are useful to plan how to get anywhere by searching train, bus, car, and ferry routes. Especially useful in countries like Vietnam or Thailand. While Klook is great to explore things to do in each place.
Travel insurance is cheap and more than likely you will never need to use it but you will have peace of mind if something does happen, you are covered in case of an emergency. World Nomads have great customer service and competitive prices.
Check out our resource page for the best companies to use when you travel.
Finally, Ubud may not be the most visited place in Bali but if you want something less touristy and crowded, this place can be a great spot to visit. Even though there are not too many adventure activities to do but the place is great if you love the arts and exploring the rice paddies.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on the things to do in Ubud Bali has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.