Thailand is a fun country to visit especially if you are looking to relax and party on one of the many party islands around the country. With that some people want to enjoy smoking weed while visiting Thailand, Thailand is well known for its strict laws on drugs. So, is weed legal in Thailand?
Marijuana/weed is illegal in Thailand, Thailand has strict laws regarding drugs and if caught with weed can lead to imprisonment or a large fine. Even been in possession of drugs can also carry the death penalty in Thailand. In 2018, Thailand became the first Southeast Asian country to legalize medical marijuana. There are strict laws around the use of medical marijuana.
In this post, we will go through what is weed legal in Thailand. So let’s get started!
Read More On Thailand
- Should I Exchange Money Before I Travel To Thailand?
- How Much Does A Beer Cost In Thailand?
- What Is The Best Elephant Sanctuary In Phuket?
- How Bad Are Mosquitoes In Thailand?
- When Is The Lantern Festival In Thailand?
- Does It Snow In Thailand?
Is Weed Legal In Thailand?
Weed is illegal in Thailand. Thailand is well known for its strict laws regarding drugs and if caught with weed can lead to imprisonment or a super large fine. There is also the risk of the death penalty in Thailand.
In 2018, Thailand became the first Southeast Asian country to legalize medical marijuana. There are strict laws around the use of medical marijuana. You will need to go through the proper channels to be able to get medical marijuana in Thailand.
What Are The Main Drugs In Thailand?
Ya ba is properly the most used illegal In Thailand. It is also known as the ‘crazy drug’ and can cause a lot of permanent damage to the human body in particular the mind. The next popular illegal drugs in Thailand are cannabis(weed), cocaine, ecstasy, and properly ice with all four widely available in tourist areas.
Remember that the Thai police are watching these areas. They do be undercover and even pose as drug dealers. And it is well known that the tuk-tuk drivers do work with the police and try to upsell drugs.
What Drugs Are illegal In Thailand?
Thailand has 5 categories of drug classification. The Thai Narcotics Act defines that narcotics as that something that is consumed that can have a negative physiological or mental effect. The drugs are classified into 5 categories with category 1 been the worse. These are as follows.
- Category 1 – Heroin, Ecstasy, Methamphetamines such as Ya ba and Ice.
- Category 2 – Cocaine, Morphine, Ketamine, Opium and medicinal opium.
- Category 3 – Medicinal drugs thats it formula contains narcotics of category 2.
- Category 4 – Drugs that used chemicals used to make category 1 and 2.
- Category 5 – Marijuana (weed) and the Kratom plant.
The best advice is to stay away from drugs in Thailand.
What Is The Sentence For Drugs In Thailand?
Thailand has very strict laws regarding drugs. If you are found to be in possession of 20 grams of a class A drug such as an ecstasy or cocaine you run the risk of receiving the death penalty. Anyone in possession of drugs that are illegal also runs the risk of imprisonment from anywhere from 1 to 10 years or a large fine.
What Do You Do If You Get Caught With Drugs In Thailand?
Unfortunately, the situation of a tourist getting caught with illegal drugs in Thailand is not an uncommon situation. What to do if you get arrested for drug possession in Thailand as a foreigner stuck in a Thai jail. Here is what to do?
- You first need to contact your embassy. The embassy will not get you out of jail but they can inform you, family, and friends, as well as helping to find you a proper Thai lawyer.
- Next you will need a Thai lawyer that speaks your language. The problem in Thailand is that quite a few lawyers prey on people in desperate situations. And take the money they are paid, do nothing, and disappear. You need to be careful when deciding on a lawyer and before handing over money.
- The Thai court system has a very slow progress. You may have to wait months for your first court date. For small offenses, you may have to wait to get out on bail and this can be very expensive because of the flight risk.
- You can remain silent under Thai law until you get your lawyer. And you should not say anything. As you might get yourself in more trouble.
My Advice About Drugs In Thailand For Foreigners
I have only 3 bits of advice regarding illegal drugs in Thailand. These are as follows.
- Best thing to do is stay away from drugs in Thailand. It is not worth the hassle or risk.
- If a stranger or someone gives you a package or bag to carry, just say no.
- If you in a bar or cafe shop and you smell weed, it is safer to leave. The Thais in general are any drugs so someone will more than likely report it to the police.
Finally, weed is illegal in Thailand. Thailand is well known for its strict laws regarding drugs and if caught with weed can lead to imprisonment or a large fine. The safest thing to do when in Thailand is to stay away from drugs, overall it is not worth the risk and you don’t want to be on the TV series banged up aboard.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on is weed legal in Thailand has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.