Vietnam is a country that is not only growing as a popular tourist destination but it is also growing as a popular place for digital nomads. As well as that it is a country with a lot of history, magnificent sights, and great food. But does Vietnam have good WiFi?
Vietnam has good internet but it starts to become less reliable as you leave the main cities to remote areas. There is WiFi available in cafes, bars, hotels, and even roadside stalls in Vietnam. Most of them have good wifi. And it is free in most of the coffee shops, hotels, bars, and train stations.
In this post, we will go through does Vietnam have good WiFi. Let’s get started!
Learn More On Vietnam
- Which City Has Best Nightlife in Vietnam?
- How Much Does Beer Cost in Vietnam?
- Tipping in Vietnam – Is Tipping Expected in Vietnam?
- How Bad Are Mosquitoes in Vietnam?
- Can You Flush Toilet Paper in Vietnam?
- Can You Drink Tap Water in Vietnam?
- Does Vietnam Have Good WiFi?
- SIM Card or Pocket WiFI in Vietnam?
- SIM Card Pros And Cons
- Pocket WiFI Pros And Cons
- Is Pocket WiFi Worth It in Vietnam?
- Are SIM Cards Worth It in Vietnam?
- Who Are The Network Operators in Vietnam?
- Where To Buy A Local Vietnamese SIM ?
- Wrapping Up
Does Vietnam Have Good WiFi?
Generally speaking, Vietnam has good internet especially in the main cities of Da Nang, Hanoi, and Ho Chi Minh City but it becomes less reliable as you leave the main cities to more remote areas. You can easily find WiFi in cafes, bars, hotels, and even roadside stalls. Most of them have decent wifi and it is free in most of the coffee shops, hotels, bars, and train stations.
Another thing about the internet in Vietnam is that it is censorship. Anything that the Vietnamese government does not like gets blocked. Sites that get blocked are generally those that are critical of the Vietnamese government, expatriate political parties, and international human rights organizations.
SIM Card or Pocket WiFI in Vietnam?
For security reasons, I would not advise using any of the open public WiFi at cafes, bars, and so on when paying for things online because cybercriminals can target these networks with snooping and sniffing or Man-in-the-Middle attacks. Especially if no password is required to access the WiFi network.
It is safer to stick to as few public WiFi networks as possible as these are naturally less secure than your personal or private WiFi.
Online safety is important and visitors to Vietnam can have an option of either getting a SIM card or portable WiFi. There are pros and cons to each. These are as follows.
SIM Card Pros And Cons
We can look at the advantages and disadvantages of SIM card.
- Provides internet to use apps like google maps or hotel apps as well as checking your emails, and more.
- Can be used on a wide range of smartphones and tablets.
- Can be got either online or on arrival in Vietnam.
- No contracts with a simple and quick activation process.
- Great for solo travelers.
- Your device must be unlocked.
- Unless dual sim you will need to remove your own SIM card from your unlocked device’s SIM slot.
- At times there can be limits on the internet speed.
Pocket WiFI Pros And Cons
We can look at the advantages and disadvantages of pocket WiFI.
- Works with any WiFi supported devices.
- Can support up to 10 devices.
- Can be got either online or on arrival in Vietnam.
- No contracts and ready to be used as soon as you have it.
- It can work out cheaper than a prepaid sim card and allows for more traffic. Perfect if you traveling with a group.
- The device can add extra weight and baggage. Especially if using on the go.
- It needs to be charged regularly.
- If someone in the group decides to leave the group. Only the person who has the device and those near the device can have access to the internet.
Is Pocket WiFi Worth It in Vietnam?
If you are traveling with a group and the WiFi is needed constantly within the group then Pocket WiFi is worth it. It is a better option than SIM Cards. Also, it can be used with any phone or tablet and you don’t need to install any SIM Cards or have to change any of your phone or tablet settings.
Are SIM Cards Worth It in Vietnam?
If you are a solo traveler or your internet demands are just the basics then a SIM card is worth it. A prepaid SIM card is more convenient than a pocket WiFi because, for one thing, you will not need to turn it on and off each time to save battery life.
Who Are The Network Operators in Vietnam?
There are four main operators in Vietnam. These are as follows.
- Viettel – The biggest.
Where To Buy A Local Vietnamese SIM ?
There are a number of places in Vietnam where you can get a Vietnamese SIM card. They are cheap compared to Europe or the United States. You can get a sim card in the following places.
- Local grocery stores like FamilyMart.
- Telecom stores
To get a SIM card you will need your passport and cash to pay for the SIM.
Finally, Vietnam does have good WiFi but as you leave the main cities the WiFi tends to become less reliable and the more remote areas you go it can get quite poor. There is WiFi available in cafes, bars, hotels, and even roadside stalls. And it is free in most of the coffee shops, hotels, bars, and train stations.
And that’s it for now! I’d love to know if this guide on does Vietnam have good WiFi has helped you. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if there is more to add.